Eclipse “Initializing Java Tooling” hangs

Sometimes using SpringSource Tool Suite (STS) e.g. version 2.3.2- which is based on Eclipse – startup hangs on various operations:

Initializing Java Tooling

Repository registry initialization

STS/Eclipse does not seem to respond to anything – the UI freezes and that’s it! I’ve had this on several occassions with no apparent cause on my part. Usually it has something to do with fiddling with (adding libraries to) the classpath and/or cleaning the project. Some users report Eclipse hangs at “Initializing Java Tooling” at 30% for 20-30 secs after which everything continues normally, but I don’t have that much luck 🙂 Continue reading “Eclipse “Initializing Java Tooling” hangs”

Separating and securing Grails controllers

Ever wanted to have several Grails controllers automatically secured – just by name?

I had to make a subset of my Grails 1.2.2 application controllers only available to a certain group of people. A few controllers made actions on the application possible which only Administrators were allowed to do.

Acegi what?

So, I think everybody recognizes the ever so popular Acegi way (using Spring Security) of securing things with a single in SecurityConfig.groovy:

security {
	active = true

	useRequestMapDomainClass = false
	requestMapString = """


This way a login-screen will appear when a user tries to open the HelloController on /hello since ROLE_USER is required. Well, not really high-tech yet – a basic example you could find in the Acegi plugin’s documentation as well.

More…more controllers!

Let’s introduce several other controllers next to the Notice I myself made up the package name – just a habit to seperate Domain classes, Controllers and Services into, and

Continue reading “Separating and securing Grails controllers”

Please enter the correct password for the postgres windows user account

I just had a weird case where I reinstalled Windows XP completely clean om my desktop, had to install PostgreSQL (8.4 – via the “One Click Installer”) again and the Postgres installer barfed on the ‘postgres’ windows user account. Somehow it believed there already was a ‘postgres’ account present – while I was under the impression I was creating a new one: I just did a clean install of Windows right? 🙂

The password specified was incorrect. Please enter the correct password for the postgres windows user account.

Having followed several forum posts, suggesting to restart the PostgreSQL Service or changing the postgres password in the Computer Management MMC, all didn’t work – I didn’t install Postgres yet so there was no service to be found.

To make sure there really was no user present I executed the following at the command line:

net user postgres /delete

The first time the command returned as succesfully and the 2nd time it stated it couldn’t find the ‘postgres’ user – meaning the 1st time it was present – and succesfully deleted. I started the installer again and all went like clockwork!